Bad Grammar II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At This Moment

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

At This Moment Empty At This Moment

Post  Sandkitten Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 pm

The war is over.

At least, the Second World War is over. It's been over officially for a little more than a year. The entire town of Dorseyville, PA had come to a standstill on September second of 1945, the remaining population weeping in celebration as it was announced over the radio that documents signed on the USS Missouri had finally brought the six-year conflict to a close.

The effects of the war are still quite obvious on the community, even a year later. Most of the men are still missing from town... some confirmed dead, some supposed MIA. The handful that are left in town have already gone home from their jobs for the evening, except at the small hospital, where staff always seems to run short. Tonight is no exception, and truthfully, the staff is shorter than usual. Not surprising, given the time of year. It's approaching Christmas in 1946 - Christmas Eve, in fact. With only a single doctor and two nurses left to keep an eye on the overnighters, the whole place is as silent as a church on a Saturday afternoon.

Outside, snow continues to fall quietly as it has for the past several hours, and seasonal music pipes over the PA system in the streets, but there are no more pedestrians, and then last cars have finally trickled off the streets. Lamplights glow faintly outside, and the hall lights of the hospital buzz in the otherwise eerie silence. Inside the rooms of the hospital, however, some few souls are still fighting their own wars. Some are dealing with the terrors of what modern doctors are calling "Post-traumatic stress disorder," or "PTSD". Others have more common but no less unpleasant illnesses - pneumonia being the most prevalent this season.

In this silent maze, Vincent walks somberly from room to room, unnoticed by patients or staff. The significance of the date makes little difference to him, as he sweeps slowly and silently from bedside to bedside, running through the mental checklist in his mind. Four of these souls will be leaving their mortal shells before morning's light. In the last room, he has to step around a chair that's been pushed up right beside the bed, which he finds occupied by someone not on his roster... though the familial resemblance makes it easy to guess her relation to the patient asleep in the bed beside her.

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

At This Moment Empty Re: At This Moment

Post  SharpestLife19 Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 pm

The little girl sitting beside her mother's hospital bed shifted for the thousandth time. She felt she had been there forever and it was tiring, but she couldn't leave her mother. They needed each other. Little Grace knew that her father had died when she was very young and had spent all of her ten years with her mother. She also knew that the war was finally over. Her mother had swept her up in her arms and kissed her when she heard the news. Grace didn't understand much about the war. She knew it was a very big, very bad thing and that a very bad man had hurt a lot of good people. She knew that most of the men were gone, but since it had always been only her and her mother she didn't mind. She thought it was nice that woman were getting to work more, but that was the only good thing. She knew that her mother gave her pantyhose to the war effort, but she never understood how they would help. She had this funny idea that the soldiers would wear them and that had made her laugh. Food was harder to come by than it had been and everyone planted their own victory garden. Grace loved that little garden. She mostly liked having a reason to play in the dirt. It was also harder to do anything that had to be paid for, so Grace and her mother didn't get to go out for ice cream or see a picture hardly at all anymore. But Mama said if she could make it through the Depression, they could make it through the War. And they had. And then it was over and Gracie thought everything would go back to how it was before.

A little over a year after the end of the war, she found that things had not returned to the way it had been. Many of the men didn't come home. Grace heard the grown ups say words like "MIA", but she didn't know what that meant. The grown ups acted like everyone knew what happened to the men, but she didn't. She heard Art say at school that the men were killed, but she didn't know if that was true. How could that many people be dead? It didn't seem to work out. Death was a small thing, supposed to be for one person at a time. It couldn't have taken all those men at once. Grace decided that Art was a liar and she wouldn't listen to him anymore. She also decided that the men who were gone had disappeared. Like a magic trick. But there was no magician, so they couldn't come back.

Even if the men had been there, the town wasn't the same. Grace had always thought of it as a happy, fun little town full of life and color. Now it was dull and gray and filled with quiet people who simply went about their work. Grace prayed for the town to get better every night. She believed that God could fix it if he wanted to, but he was probably starting with the big cities so it would take some time to get to her little town. She knew things would get better with time. Until Mama got sick.

As she sat beside her mother, Grace held her mother's hand and thought back to when her mother first became ill. She hadn't noticed at first. Mama thought it was a cold. She was coughing and got a fever, but they couldn't afford to see the doctor for a cold. So Mama tried to get more rest and have chicken soup, but she didn't get better. Grace stayed home from school to look after her mother. She remembered sitting beside Mama at home as she was now, but on a stool beside a real bed. She read to Mama as well she could and stayed at her side. Her mother always told her she need not always watch over her, but Grace would not leave her. She knew that they needed each other and her Mama had always taken care of her when she was sick, so it just seemed right to be there for her Mama now.

The day her mother had a particularly bad coughing fit that ended in coughing up blood, Grace had called the doctor right away. He came to their apartment and told Mama she had pneumonia and she needed to go to the hospital. Grace was at the hospital whenever she wasn't at school, but she was always worrying. She didn't know what would happen if she lost her mother. They had always been there for each other. Her Gramma sometimes came to visit and Grace thought that she would probably be sent to live with her if it came to that, but then she would have to leave her friends and her school. She wasn't ready to lose everything like that. Losing her mother would be bad enough! She thought of it again and began to cry quietly. She didn't want to wake Mama with her tears. She wiped at her eyes and nose, trying to get rid of the tears. She leaned over her Mama and brushed back her hair from her face. "There..."

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:37 am

Vincent stands motionless and silent, watching the girl, seeing past her trying-to-be-tough exterior, sensing what's inside her. The quiet desperation of a ten year old child, who - out of the perfect faith that only a child can possess - has prayed endlessly for the recovery of her mother and for the people around her. "And her prayers have gone unanswered, no doubt," he thinks wryly. The figurehead that these people recognize in worship as the one true, omnipotent god is often silent to the crying out in their hearts, he knows. He ought to know. He works for Him.

"Works for" might be something of an overstatement, at this point. As one of the few in His service who was appointed to work without first being given the full Human experience, he's worked his way through several positions that might otherwise be compromised by another volunteer's biased experience. Now, he serves as one of a handful of elite Harbingers - the ones who can walk through the valley of the shadow of death without having such empathetic response that it alters their course. Though sometimes, he alters the course of his own volition, for his own private reasons.

Even if the girl were paying attention to the precise point in space which he occupied, it wouldn't be much easier for her to recognize when he faded into her peripheral vision, seemingly from nowhere. His appearance to her would be nothing shocking - a man in a long overcoat, long dark hair swept off to the sides of his face. Nothing, other than his presence itself, that might alert her to his nature.

"She's very sick, isn't she." It's a question, but somehow he can't pull the last syllable up with a question's inflection, as he already knows the answer. The only reason he'd be here. "She hasn't been getting any better."

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:53 am

Grace's first reaction is that there is a doctor in the room, but she knows the nurses check in unless there is an emergency, so she turns to face the stranger standing in front of her. Her eyes go wide in fear. She doesn't know this man. He's not anyone who's in this town. She knows everyone in the town. This man does not belong here. Why is he here? Her brow furrows in confusion and she stands up between the man and her mama. Her words come out in a concentrated hiss, she doesn't want to wake her mother by shouting, "You don't belong here. Go away or I'll call the nurse!" She reaches for the call button to show she isn't joking. She doesn't like this man being here. This suffering is personal. It's between her and her mama and this man should not be part of it. Her lips tremble as she tries to contain more tears. "You heard me, Mister! Get out!" She makes shooing motions at him before taking the call button into her small hand again.

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:03 am

Well, now he's gone and frightened the child. There's not a child alive who wouldn't tear the world apart to save their mommy, and he can see that this is clearly no exception. But if she presses that button, the nurses will certainly have her removed on some suspicion of sleep-deprivation or trauma-induced insanity. He raises his hands in the beatitude of kindness and surrender. "There's no need for that. If you call the nurses, they won't be able to see me. Or hear me. I only wanted to have a talk with you." Still, to calm her a bit, he takes a step back and sits in one of the chairs against the wall.

Folding his hands in his lap, he gauges her reactions and expressions. "You've read the Bible haven't you? Of course you have, that's how you've been raised. You're a good girl. You know what angels are, then."

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:10 am

Though she doesn't let go of the call button, Grace clearly is listening to the man. She looks unsure. She still doesn't know this man. Of course he wants her to set the call button down. He may be lying to keep her quiet. But when he asks of the Bible, there is a change on her face. Her eyes look bright and she releases her hold on the call button. She nods. Of course she reads the Bible. That is what she read to Mama when Mama got sick. She's heard of angels as well. And she believes in them. She wonders where his wings are but doesn't ask. There are more important things right now. She smiles up at him with the awe-inspiring faith only children can have. "Are you an angel, Mister? Did you come to save my Mama? I've been asking God every night..." Her amber eyes well up with tears and her lips tremble again. He had to be here to save her, he just had to be. She'd been asking for so long.

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:20 am

Ah, there it is. A child's perfect faith in the goodness of all things, in that fairy-tale of good triumphing over all evil, and justice being swift and perfect. Sadly, he knows exactly how false those myths can be, and how blind the eyes of their supposed almighty benefactor can be.

"I am an angel." He sidesteps her second question for the moment - he intends to answer it, but the child's fragile state requires a short explanation first. "There are many kinds of angels, and some of them have special jobs to do. I have a special job, and I'm here because I am doing my job... I was not sent here to help your mother. But I do have the power to do that, even though that is not my job. Do you understand?"

He's certain that she does, so he continues. "I can see how much faith you have." However misguided it may be. "And I know you must have been praying very hard. What's your name?"

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:39 am

She does understand that this angel may have a special job, but she doesn't understand why that job isn't helping this town or at least her mother. Angels are supposed to help. She looks once again uncertain when he says he has the power to help nonetheless. There can't be any other reason to be here that she can imagine. But maybe if she's a good girl he will help her anyway. She's always been a good girl, there is no reason for him not to help her. "My name is Grace Bingham. This is my mama." She motions behind her to the woman on the hospital bed. "She is sick, but you know that. Can you please make her better, Mister?" She turns her small believing face up to him, her eyes pleading for his help. "Please?"

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:35 pm

There's really no reason for him to do this. But honestly... there's no reason for him not to do it, either. In the grand play of life, these two are just extras, really. There are no great plans for them, no fantastic thread of ingenious that they're slated to be some integral part of. These two... are merely here to receive the true Human experience, one without any semblance of superiority over their fellow man - they will live, and they will die, and they will sum up their experiences and put it in the collective for the understanding of all. How they choose to interpret all that happens to them will be picked apart, like lice under the microscope of a great scientist, and the context of their lives will be studied and philosophically mulled over.

But by stepping in, he'll be interrupting that perfect flow of events. He's already done so, by revealing his presence to her. So, nothing to gain by stepping away now. But also nothing to gain by doing this service without a price.

"You're a very good girl, Grace, and I know your mother would be very proud of you for being as brave as you have been while she's been so sick. I will take the sickness out of her body, and she will be better tomorrow." He holds up a finger. "That doesn't mean she'll never be sick again. She works too hard now, and she needs to take better care of herself, so that she can take care of you. You'll have to tell her that."

Standing, he goes over to where her mother is sleeping, and he rests his hands on her - more or less. His hands don't actually touch her, they seem even to pass slightly through her. But in a matter of several moments, he draws his hands away again, and with them come a mass of something that to Grace must look like the physical manifestation of her mother's sickness. It doesn't seem to concern Vincent, however, and he wipes his hands off on a towel and throws it away.

Turning back to the girl, he crouches so that he's eye-to-eye with her. "She'll be fine in the morning." It's difficult to tell what color his eyes are, in this light - to the girl, they probably appear brown. All the better for him, since she seems easily frightened. "I don't have any more business here right now... but if I come back, I'll check on you." He holds his hand out to her. "And now that I've done this favor for you, if I ever decide you can help me in some way, I'll come find you. Alright?"

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:31 pm

Grace's whole face lights up when the angel says he will help. She has been very brave for her Mama and she has been so very good. She smiles wide, revealing a missing tooth on the top. "Oh, thank you, Mister Angel!" She's so happy she would like to hug him but she isn't sure that would even be possible. She watches with some confusion as he draws the sickness from her mother. She wonders if all sickness looks the same or if some would look different than others. She thinks of asking, but isn't sure if that's a polite question, so she doesn't ask him.
She listens very carefully and looks quite serious when the angel tells her that her mother needs to take care of herself better. He must know how hard that is, even in the good times. "I will tell her, Mister. I promise." She means it and it's clear that she does. She thinks Mama will try very hard if it means staying around to take care of her. Even if it is hard, she will try because she wouldn't want to leave her little Gracie.
She doesn't have to think about when she is asked if she will help him in return. It's the right thing to do. If someone helps you, you should help them too. She nods right away. "Of course I'll help you, Mister! Just tell me, whatever you need and I'll do it!" She has the emphatic enthusiasm common in children. "But...why would an angel need help?" She immediately covers her mouth, as if she can't believe she said that out loud. She feels like she might have offended the angel, and that would be worse than offending a grown up. At least, it seems like it should be worse. It must be. It would be like offending God. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Mister! I didn't mean that!" She hops as she speaks, worried that she's upset him badly. "I'm sorry!"

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:26 pm

The shadow of a smile passes over his features as he watches the girl wiggle with giddy penitence. He puts a hand on her shoulder to calm her. "It's alright. You're a smart girl, too - smart girls ask questions. Don't ever stop asking questions, alright?" He stands, and looks out the window, though it's not apparent what he's looking at. "Everyone needs help, sometimes. No one can do everything alone. Not even God." He looks down at her. "That's why he has angels, to help him do his work. If he could do everything himself, he wouldn't need us."

He looks back down at her again, and the shadow of a smile returns. "I know it might not mesh with some of what you've been taught. Just keep asking questions, and one day, maybe you'll understand." He puts his hand on her head briefly, and then moves to leave the room. Before he does, he pauses. "And the name isn't Mister Angel... it's Vincent."

Without any further delay, he walks out of the room, and if she were to peek out into the hallway, she'd find no trace of him - no sign that he was ever there.

Except that in the morning, her mother is as healthy as she's ever been in her life. The doctor chalks it up to a Christmas miracle.

Down the hall, two others were not so lucky. By the time Grace's mother has checked out, their beds have been emptied, and any personal belongings boxed and labeled in storage.

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:58 pm

The little girl heaves a sigh of relief that she didn't offend the angel. That would have been the worst thing that could happen. She is pleased that he thinks she is a smart girl. She doesn't always ask the questions she thinks of because she has been taught to keep it to herself if it would be seen as impertinent. She wonders if she should ask more questions anyway. That seems to be what the angel wants her to do. Grace is sure that an angel wouldn't tell her to do something that would get her in trouble, so she decides she will try to ask more questions. She wants to be a smart girl.

When Mister, oh when Vincent disappeared, she became very confused. He left so suddenly. He wasn't considerate enough to say goodbye, but he did save her mother, so she would have to grant him that little etiquette mistake. She does peek out in the hallway, but when she finds nothing, returns to her mother's side. Finally feeling at peace, she gets up on the hospital bed beside her mother and goes to sleep.

Grace is happier than she has ever been to be going home with her mother the next day. She holds her mother's hand all the way out of the hospital and in the taxi ride home. Mama said she was well enough to walk, but Grace insisted they take the cab this time. Once at home, Grace followed her Mama everywhere, only not following her into the bathroom. Mama laughed and playfully chided Grace for being so much like a puppy, but Grace was too happy to have her Mama home to do anything but follow her with a huge smile. They spent their day together doing a puzzle and reading.

At one point, Grace very solemnly approached her mother. "Mama.." Her mother looked up from the puzzle pieces she was digging through, "Yes, Grace?" Grace looked so serious that her mother had to smile. "Grace, what is it? You look so very grave." Grace took her mother's face in her small hands, "Mama, I talked to an angel. He saved you for me." Her mother looked as if she were about to argue with that, it is an odd thing to hear your child say, after all, but Grace placed a finger over her mother's lips. "Please listen." Her mother nodded for her to continue. "Mama, he told me you have to take better care of yourself so you can be here for me. Promise me you'll do that."

Her mother swept Grace into a hug and held her tight. Grace could feel her mother's hot tears soaking her hair and shoulder and Grace was so glad to have her mother and filled with such love for her at that moment, that she began to cry as well. After a moment of holding each other, Grace's mother released her little girl and wiped the tears from her small face. "I promise, Gracie. I will do everything I can to be here with you for as long as I am able." Grace smiled contentedly, "Thank you, Mama. Thank you so very much." Her mother then went to make them both tea before they went off to bed for the night.

Grace's mother didn't believe that Grace had talked to an angel, as much as she loved her little girl, she thought that had to be childhood imagination. She decided that Grace was still young enough that believing she spoke to an angel wouldn't hurt her in anyway. But Grace was a child, and she couldn't keep her mouth shut, so she started telling the other children at school that she spoke to an angel. The other children didn't believe her and made fun of her, even her two best friends. This ended in Grace running home in tears and burrowing her face in her Mama's skirt.

When her mother asked what had happened, she told her Mama that none of the kids at school believed her when she told them about the angel. Her mother shook her head with a sigh and took her little girl into her arms. "Grace darling, I know that you truly believe you spoke to an angel, but that is simply impossible." Grace shook her head vehemently, braids flopping to and fro. "No, Mama! It's real! He was there. His name is Vincent and he saved you!" Her mother shook her head again, "Grace, please. Don't make up stories. You need to stop saying that you saw an angel. People don't talk about those kind of things. It makes people think you're strange."

Grace frowned, her lip trembling again. "Why doesn't anyone believe me? Mama, you're just like all the others! It's real, it's real, it's real!" She ran outside in a huff, crying freely now. Whenever she wanted to be alone, Grace climbed a tree that was in the small park by their apartment building. She climbed it now and let her tears fall down her face. She didn't understand how her mother could do that to her. Mother's were supposed to always believe you and love you even when no one else does. But her mother wouldn't listen. That was not right. She wiped at the tears rolling down her face, but only succeeded in making her face dirty. She had gotten dirty hands and knees climbing up the tree but she didn't try to brush the dirt off. She raised her gaze to the sky. "God, it's me, Grace. I don't understand why nobody will listen to me, but I know you will. I know you know the angel is real. Why won't anyone believe me?"

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Vincent just happens to be in the area when he sees little Grace streak across the yard and haul tail up her tree. Normally, he wouldn't give a running child a second glance - unless, of course, that's why he was in the area - but being as that she now has a spot on the short list of names kept in his book, he's taken with an enhanced degree of interest for her. The fact that she's crying doesn't escape his notice, either. Taking pause from his determined path, he makes his way over to stand under the tree she's taken up residence in, and he listens to her prayer. Well, she's certainly not going to get an answer from Him.

Rendering himself once again visible to her - and her alone - he looks up at her with his hands in his pockets. "The Bible is full of stories about people that God or his Angels spoke to, and nobody believed them. Mostly good men, in good standing, with good reputations." He looks just the same as he did before - long dark hair, long coat... and from there, she can't tell much more than that. But that won't last. "Mind if I join you up there?"

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Grace is once again startled by the sudden appearance of Vincent, but she smiles when he speaks of the Bible stories she knows and loves. She's surprised she didn't think of them herself, but she was very upset. She waves. "Hello, Mr. Vincent. You may come up in the tree with me." She's up far enough that she doesn't have to move for him to be able to join her. Though, now that she thinks of it, she isn't sure that he can climb. His touch had gone right through her mother when he took her sickness away. "Pardon me Mister Vincent, but can you climb? I didn't think you could touch things." She decides that is a nice enough way to ask a strange question. And Mister Vincent encouraged her questions before, so he would probably approve of her asking.

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 pm

He smiles slightly as he looks up at her, pleased to see that she's still asking questions. That's a smart girl. "I can touch what I need to touch, and not touch what I don't need to touch. Just as I can be seen when I like, and not be seen when I don't. For instance-" He's quite adept at climbing, it seems, and he takes a seat on the branch below hers. "-right now, you can see me, and hear me... but nobody else can."

He's not facing her now, and his eyes are partially obscured by his hair. "I guess you must have told your mother about what happened at the hospital." From her prayer, he surmises that the reaction was not a warm one. "As long as she listened to you about taking care of herself, that's what's important. God passes messages through his helpers all the time, instead of telling them directly - just like I passed that message on to her through you. Sometimes, that is what really needs to be shared, and the experience is just something special and private for the one person."

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:19 am

Grace smiles, glad that Mister Vincent still thinks she's a smart girl. She likes to think of herself as smart and she always appreciates when a grown up thinks that she is as well. She watches with interest as Mister Vincent climbs the tree. Grown ups aren't usually very good at it and she wonders how old he really is. But she knows that is not an appropriate question for grown ups, so she keeps quiet. "It must be convenient to be able to disappear and reappear when you want to." She thinks that could be fun. She'd be able to play tricks on her friends. She also thinks about why he wouldn't want anyone to see him, but that seems pretty simple. People would wonder if a strange man were sitting in a tree with a ten-year-old girl. And they would talk. And it would be ever so bad.

She looks over at Mister Vincent. "Do you mean that I shouldn't have told anyone? I'm dreadfully sorry. I didn't know it would cause such trouble." She frowns, worried again about offending an angel. "I felt like I had to tell my Mama, I thought she would listen. She's my Mama." She shrugs as if that statement stands alone. "Why did you come back? Do you need me?"

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:34 am

"Well, that was your own decision - nobody can tell you ALL of the right things and the wrong things to do. You have something called 'free agency', Grace... that means that you have the ability to choose every action you ever do, and it also means that the actions you choose each bear their own consequence. If you had felt it was wrong to tell people, you wouldn't have. Now that you have told them, and you know how they'll react, you can choose to continue to tell them about things like that... or you can choose to keep those things to yourself. Neither of those choices are right or wrong - they're just choices."

He looks over at Grace now, and his eyes are clearly visible in the light. Instead of brown, his eyes are crimson, with gold flecks seeming to float about freely. "I don't need your help right now, no. I was on my way somewhere else, and I heard your prayer, so I thought I would stop and answer you." He doesn't show it in any change of expression, but he watches closely for her reaction. In her culture and upbringing, that color tends to denote him as something other than angelic. He's curious to see what her take on him is, or whether she'll mention it at all. Curious though she is, she also seems to have a strong sense of propriety, and he knows that she doesn't want to offend him.

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:47 am

She considers what Mister Vincent is telling her, and tries to decide if it's really isn't right or wrong to continue to tell people what she saw or to not tell them. According to what she was taught, everything was supposed to be right or wrong. The idea of a gray area never crossed her mind before. She isn't sure if she is frightened or intrigued or perhaps both. But she doesn't have time to think about all of those possibilities at the moment since when she looks up at Mister Vincent again. She gasps and covers her mouth so she doesn't blurt out what she first thought. Angels are not supposed to look like this. No wings, and now this...She clears her throat and resolutely pulls her hand away from her mouth again. "Pardon me, but..." She's struggling with a way to politely ask what's on her mind. "Um, I'm sorry, this must be impertinent. Are you the devil?"

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:01 am

His eyes, he knows, are what sparks her reaction, and the question. Certainly not the first time he's been asked, but it is quite probably the kindest. And if nothing else, the most innocent. He doesn't look away from her, but that shadow of a smile does return to his features.

"No, Grace, I am not the Devil. I am an angel, as I told you before - the color of my eyes does not change what I am."

"Although," he holds up a finger. "I could be lying, if I were the Devil. But that would mean that everything I've done is evil, wouldn't it?"

He puts his hand back in his lap and lifts his eyebrows. "What do you think, Grace? Are you afraid of me, now that you've seen my eyes?"

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Grace's pretty amber eyes are wide with fear, not sure if she should believe him. Everything she has ever been taught causes her to believe that he might be lying and be evil. But an evil man wouldn't save her mother. Unless he wanted something from her. This man did want something from her, but she didn't think that Mister Vincent wanted anything bad from her. He didn't seem like a soul-stealer. They don't usually talk about the Bible. At least, that's what she thought. She looked horribly confused as she tried to decide what was real. It was an awful lot for a ten year old to do.

The more she thought about it, the more it seemed like he wasn't evil. It didn't seem to add up to her. So she decided she would still trust him, he had to be an angel. She nodded to herself and looked back at Mister Vincent. "It's not your fault your eyes are red. I don't have any reason to be afraid of you."

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Watching her with half-lidded crimson eyes, gold flecks swirling slowly, he waits patiently while she hashes out everything in her mind. It must be an awfully difficult task for a ten year old girl to do, but when she finally draws her conclusion, he smiles faintly. "Thank you, Grace. May I ask why you decided that?"

He could certainly take a break in time, and scramble around in her mind to find the answers himself, but he prefers to hear the answers as they come out of the filter rather than diving straight to the source. It may be of little consequence now, since she'll probably have changed quite a bit in the several years it will take for her to grow to an age of some degree of usefulness, but he's still interested in how her mind works at this age, since she is on his short list.

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:17 pm

She nods eagerly. "Yes, I'll tell you. I think if you were evil you wouldn't have saved my mother and you don't seem like someone who wants my soul and I don't think you would've showed me your eyes if you were evil because then I'd know and I wouldn't have if you didn't show me on purpose and you were talking about the Bible and I don't think evil people do that." She takes a deep breath, realizing that all came out in a quick blurt. Her face flushes slightly, feeling embarrassed for talking so much at once. "Oh, I'm dreadfully sorry for babbling."

Grace scoots around in the tree a bit so her bum isn't falling asleep anymore. She kicks her legs, looking down at her shoes. She sees now that she dirtied her knees, but at least she didn't have tights on, they would've ripped. She hopes her mother won't be too angry at her. She looks back over at Mister Vincent. "When will I see you again?"

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:49 pm

He listens patiently to her run-on sentence, marveling at how black-and-white this child's life is in her eyes. "It's alright, you don't have to apologize to me. You didn't do anything wrong." He doesn't shift or swing his legs, but he would look rather out-of-place if anyone else could see him.

"I don't know when you'll see me again. My work takes me all over the world... and sometimes I don't return to a place for a very long time. I suppose I'll be around, for a while." The girl seems to need someone to talk frankly to, and for children, that can be a difficult thing to find, since adults are so ready to pass off a child's words as flight of fancy. "Now and again, I'll stop in and see how you're doing."

He isn't sure why he even feels the need to do that much, but for whatever reason, there's a draw here. It's not something as simple as the short range of emotions that humans have at their disposal - it's a kind of draw, a sense of curiosity and interest in well being, and more, and less, all at once. The complexities rather annoy him, as he can feel the beginning of a thread of familiarity growing between himself and this child.

Sliding off of his seat in the tree, he takes a jump and lands easily on the ground below. "I have to be going now... but I'll see you again soon." He looks up at her perched in the tree. "Be good. Be smart. You'll be alright."

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  SharpestLife19 Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Grace smiles wide, happy that she didn't upset Mister Vincent. She is pleased to hear that he'll come back sometimes to check on her. She likes him. She wonders if he'll just find her like he did today and decides he probably will. He seems very good at that. She once again wants to hug him, but doesn't because it doesn't seem like something she ought to do. Instead she watches him jump to the ground and nods. She's always good and she will be smart too. She's good at that. She can't hop down from the tree that easily, so she slides around and slips down like a monkey before landing on the ground and fixing her dress. "I'll be good, Mister Vincent. And I'll be smart." She looks thoughtful for a moment before looking up at him again. "May I ask one more question?" She assumes he will allow it since he has all this time. "If you were me, would you tell the other kids what happened?"

SharpestLife19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sandkitten Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 pm

Vincent pauses, thoughtful for a moment as he mulls over her question. "It seems to me that most children are not wise enough to appreciate something that special... and if you can't appreciate something, you really don't deserve it. So no, I wouldn't share it with them, if I were you." He puts his hand on her head for a moment, as before, and then turns to leave. "Goodbye, Grace. I'll see you around."

He disappears much as he did before, moving off and seeming to disappear as if into a mist as she watches, and suddenly where he seemed to be walking, there's nothing.

Sandkitten

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum